Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Connected Educator and New Teachers!!

http://www.edutopia.org/blog/new-teachers-becoming-connected-educators-lisa-dabbs?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+EdutopiaNewContent+%28Edutopia%29

As I was reading this article I found myself thinking about my first year as a teacher and am reminded of the challenges I faced. I had an amazing team of teachers and strong administrators that helped me through the first few years. I learned a lot and really put things into perspective about the job we have as teachers. The five ideas for new teachers to be connected educators I believe can be helpful for veteran teachers as well. As we prepare for the new school year there are things that I need to work on to better myself and these ideas actually pertain to me as well. Networking and sharing ideas with colleagues is such a powerful resource and can be very useful for all teachers.

3 comments:

  1. I have always thought it was crazy that teachers did not want to share with each other or to give each other help. Don't get me wrong it is frustrating being the only one that does the work if you plan together, but if you are in a group that has a lot of new teachers I think the vetern teacher needs to make sure they have all that they need. And you never know the new teacher may teach everyone else a trick or two.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kim!!
    You are absolutely right. My sister just started her first year teaching and is on a team where she is the only new teacher. They think she already knows what to do and has the resources and she does not. I hate to see her suffer like that because I know what it feels like to be the new kid on the block and just how difficult it can be. This is why me personally I am such a huge supporter of collaboration because we all come to the discussion with different ideas and strategies.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would not know what being a first year teacher is like, but I have been the newbee before. It is hard to start off right when you do not know where to begin.

    ReplyDelete